KHSU Spring Membership Drive Starts This Friday, March 19
HUMBOLDT – KHSU is counting on the love of its members to raise $120,000 during the Spring Membership Drive, which starts this Friday, March 19. In return, some of the public radio station’s hosts are showing love for their listeners by extending or otherwise celebrating their shows in different ways.
Throughout the drive, March 19 through Friday, March 26, the following shows will offer something different than usual:
· Sunday, March 21, Noon to 2 p.m. – Sabor Latino will be hosted by past and present hosts, including Manny, Carlos, Art and Azalia.· Sunday, March 21, 2 p.m. to 4p.m. – Sista’s Place is extended to two hours.
· Sunday, March 21, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. – Folklife Woodshed will be two hours with live music provided by Humboldt Folklife Society members.
· Monday, March 22, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Keys to the Highway will feature live music by show host Brooks Otis and friends.
· Tuesday, March 23, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., it’s KHSR night. The station will be broadcasting live from Crescent City.
· Thursday, March 25, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Ethnic Excursions will be extended to two hours.
· Friday, March 26, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Dub Cowboy’s Reggae Jamdown is transformed into the Reggae Pledgedown, with the possibility of live music.
As the state budget tightens, so do state funds for KHSU’s license holder, Humboldt State University, so each year, KHSU is responsible for raising an increasing amount of its own operating budget through underwriting and membership.
“We’re expecting to lose $20,000 a year in state funding for the next three years,” says KHSU General Manager Ed Subkis. “We need to increase our local fundraising to make up for these cuts and sustain our services.”
In the wake of January’s local 6.5 magnitude earthquake, as well as February’s tsunami advisory following Chile’s 8.8 magnitude earthquake, KHSU will be giving away hand-crank radios from C. Crane Company of Fortuna, during the Spring Membership Drive, for a pledge of $180 or more. There will also be a variety of musical and environmentally friendly gifts for station supporters at all levels.
For more information on the KHSU Membership Drive and KHSU programming, visit www.khsu.org .