Fire Ravages Apartment 8-plex – May 13, 2011

Friday, May 13, 2011

Photo by J. Patrick Cudahy | jpcudahy.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Arcata Fire Press Release

SAMOA & K – Arcata Firefighters responded to a fire in an apartment complex at Thursday, May 12 at 7:41 p.m.  They arrived to find one unit in the eight-plex fully involved with fire spreading to adjoining units. Arcata Police officers had evacuated the residents, including one hearing impaired resident who was unaware of the fire.

A quick attack was made on the fire with 2 ½” hand-lines and firefighters controlled the fire in about 20 minutes. The fast-developing fire gutted one apartment unit and spread to the next door unit before it was stopped. Other units suffered smoke, heat and water damage. The value of the property saved is estimated at $220,000 with an estimated loss of $140,000.

According to Asst. Chief Desmond Cowan, “We’re happy that no one was injured
in this fire. The Arcata Police did an excellent job of evacuating the building and providing scene security so that our personnel could focus on controlling the fire.” Twenty-five firefighters responded to the call with four engines, one ladder truck, and one rescue truck. Red Cross personnel were contacted and provided assistance to the residents displaced by the fire.

Investigators interviewed the resident of the unit and removed debris from the apartment. A space heater in the bedroom appears to have been the cause of the fire. Space heaters are a common cause of house fires, according to the National Fire Protection Administration. Almost one third of all house fires that are caused by home heating equipment are caused by space heaters, and the lack of adequate clearance from combustible materials is one of the
most common factors in those fires.

Tags:

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.