Community

The Gold Rush Eased Into The Settlement Era

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

This is the third of a series on the history of Arcata, excerpted from a 137-page report prepared by Guerra & McBane, LLC, for the City of Arcata, Department of Planning and Community Development. The title of the report is City of Arcata, Historic Context Statement dated March, 2012. »

Thoughts On & Advice For Dan Johnson & The NHUHSD Board

Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Thoughts On & Advice For Dan Johnson & The NHUHSD Board

If I were Mr. Johnson, I would write a letter similar to the following, to the school board and newspaper editors: »

GMO Free Humboldt Seeks Biotech Ban

Monday, July 8, 2013

Unlike the recent Proposition 37, which sought to label all genetically modified produce and other goods already available to consumers, the GMO Free Humboldt ban would prevent these crops and other organisms from being grown or produced within the county. »

Jada Brotman: The Downtown Smoking Ban Is Wrong On So Many Levels

Friday, July 5, 2013
Jada Brotman: The Downtown Smoking Ban Is Wrong On So Many Levels

I understand you don’t want to breathe my smoke, but look around you, lady – we are outside. No walls. Breeze. Calm yourself. I know Arcata seems like its own li’l island, but I promise you we are still in America. Something about freedom and rights and stuff? »

Geraldine’s Porch Pot Returns, Sans Tree

Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Geraldine’s Porch Pot Returns, Sans Tree

“Why they had to cut the tree off, I don’t know,” Geraldine said. Also, who “loves” looking at something they know they stole every day, without being reminded that they are a thief? People who snort cocaine, apparently. Geraldine’s just glad to have her tree back. “It’s pretty cool,” she said, “and a little... »

Marriage Finally Legal For All In California

Friday, June 28, 2013
Marriage Finally Legal For All In California

Effective immediately, county clerks shall issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples in California. »

OysterFence Review, Recriminations Continue

Friday, June 28, 2013
OysterFence Review, Recriminations Continue

Chino said attendance was down, as expected and intended. He said there were “10,000 solid” attendees at least, down from the 16,000 to 18,000 which had crammed the Plaza in recent years. Main Street's gross revenue from the event was estimated at about $70,000. »

That Wasn’t So Special, Dan

Wednesday, June 26, 2013
That Wasn’t So Special, Dan

Calls placed to Johnson, NHUHSD School Board President Mike Pigg, Superintendent Chris Hartley and AHS Principal Dave Navarre weren’t returned. »

Veterans Memorial Park Vandalized, Trashed, Defoliated

Wednesday, June 26, 2013
Veterans Memorial Park Vandalized, Trashed, Defoliated

It’s the vandalism – the graffiti smeared across the memorial plaque and the shrubbery thefts that really trouble him. Just a few abusers are degrading the tranquil remove for everyone. »

Benefit Show For Bob Doran & Jessica McGuinty At Humbrews Thursday, July 25

Tuesday, June 25, 2013
Benefit Show For Bob Doran & Jessica McGuinty At Humbrews Thursday, July 25

The Arcata Eye and North Coast Journal will proudly host a benefit show for beloved local persons facing medical challenges Bob Doran and Jessica McGuinty Thursday, July 25 at 8 p.m. at Humbrews 856 10th St. »